Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Natural Dye Experiment on Lokta


I spent some time labor day weekend walking around collecting some material that has grown in abundance around Gloucester forever. For this experiment i used Goldenrod, Staghorn Sumac, and Virginia Creeper berries/ stems. The different values happen during the process, whether it is the potency of the dye bath or the amount of time the material is left to soak, changes are bound to happen. When i begin using fabrics, the color may be much more subtle due to washing and setting.

I've noticed that interesting things happen to the Lotka paper when you leave the plant material soaking on the page, leaving a sort of organic pattern/ eco print. I would like to explore that technique later in the project, it would make for interesting wall art, throw pillows, or even quilts.




2 comments:

  1. these were dyed this weekend? fast work.
    what other sources of pigments are there? lichen? etc.
    I can imagine that as you develop this work, a "catalogue" of pigment sources and colors is also developed.
    could one stain an entire wall with this material? that is, rather than wall "art," a semi-uniform stain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently exploring other pigment sources, keeping my eyes open, but never thought of lichen. The idea is exciting and can't wait to find some, especially if i can find some of that subdued minty green substance that grows on trees and rocks. I'm also looking for certain tree barks that will give me a nice range of orange/browns.

    When i say wall art, i suppose i imagine more of a tapestry like product... Just a thought though!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.