Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Working on "Labels" for past books.


I need a way to give context to my past books as I prepare to begin showing them in public venues. Very few people are going to read them, let alone become intimate with them to any degree. They will be looked at like museum artifacts. Think of the following as the synopsis on the back of a book jacket. The potential reader picks up the book, looks at the cover, flips through the book, reads the back, and then makes the decision.

AVALANCHE SLIDES OF THE ADIRONDACK HIGH PEAKS
is an artist's appropriation of The Adirondack Slide Guide, a cult classic amongst the regions mountaineering community. Pages from the original document were meticulously scanned; images and typography corrected, a regional map was affixed, and redundant pages omitted. The result is an abstract version of the original document, more efficient in design, yet rendered useless in thanks to poor detail output by xerographic printing.

is a reference book that cannot be effectively referenced.

HOW I KILLED A BEAR
Salvaged from the public domain and drastically edited down to its bear essentials, How I Killed a Bear forces readers to first confront the monster (or martyr) before their immersion into the narrator’s thrilling recount of horror and eventual triumph. The book aims to challenge preconceptions of the relationships between man, nature, and death.

TIME'S NOBLEST OFFSPRING IS HER LAST
is a collection of cultural artifacts from nations long since destroyed by European colonization. The folklore within predates the demise of Native America and is chosen so that we may read their stories, learn of their reliance on, and love for our land. Upon reading it is easily and irrefutably noted that we have yet to be forgiven.

I'm continuing to dig through newspapers searching for content. I typed up all the stories I have so far into a text document. I have enough content to start filling some pages to get a better feel for the book. I want to make some rough sketch ups this weekend with the hopes of exploring some of the different ways I can make the book read.

1 comment:

  1. Could you print out the text? I'd like to read and think about it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.