Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Latest Dye Specimen // Unknown


These are my latest dye specimens. I find these shrubs growing all along my travels. After soaking them for 1 hour and simmering for an additional hour they created a rusty orange neutral color in the water. I'd like to experiment more with this plant and see if less boiling time will create a less muddy orange. I'd also like to identify this plant and research its history of uses.

Over the weekend I hope to revisit all past dye experiements with staghorn sumac, goldenrod, virginia creepers, acorns, and lichen, to experiement with fabric or cotton paper. The color may or may not change but i feel with the addition of mordants and the process of fixing the textiles, there may be less of a fade as the material dries.


I'd also like to try fabric as a side project for a future bride-to-be. She is hoping to add throw pillows to hay stack seating areas in her wedding next fall. I know that acorns can create a range of brown pigments, and they'd be perfect for her brown/teal organic wedding theme. I've bleached typography into fabrics in the past and I am hoping to play with similar techniques to add customizable imagery to these textiles. She is trying to create a sustainable wedding so this process is a perfect match.

This would be a great example of future product possibilities as well as the sort of clients/ demographics I would be looking for.




1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.