I have a bunch of ideas/first drafts for different things:
title: h_b_t
statement: H_b_t
is
an exploration, through both research and practice, of the impact
that habits have on our lives. Using William James' "Principles
of Psychology vol. 1 & 2," I examined and analyzed his views
while recording every instance he used the word "habit(s)."
Through the poems and visual design that I created, I intend to make
my audience aware of the impact that habits have on their lives while
hoping they interpret the poems in their own way.
I'm working on trying to nail done my statement so that I can give it to the gallery and I'd like to make little cards (not sure on exact size, but probably a little smaller than postcard size) with my statement on it to leave on a shelf at the show for people to take.
book:
I did a new layout for one of my books. I used the suggestion of having the blank spaces where habit is supposed to be line up, and I made choices on what words before and after to keep and what words to get rid of and I also re-ordered it in a way that I liked.
mini-book:
I also made a mini version of the book. It's not exactly the same - the order is the same but even more words were taken out. I definitely need to fix some of the pages (some words get cut off, etc.) But I was hoping to make a bunch of these to have as take aways so people can have a pocket poetry book of my work.
layout:
My group has gone to the gallery a few times and we finally decided on who gets what space, so I've been sketching out ideas for what I want mine to look like. I have one of the moveable walls and another wall, so I was thinking of putting a shelf on the movable wall (to hold business cards, my statement, mini books, and maybe the other books - although I might put the other books on the other wall). With my title above the shelf. I'm also debating whether I want to paint the moveable wall black and have a black shelf with white vinyl above it and my takeaways will be mostly white sitting on the shelf. The squiggly lines are the vinyl - I'm planning on taking the lines from the book and starting them at the top of the wall and then have them continue onto the floor til about two feet past the moveable wall (I estimated the wall is ten feet and the floor piece would also be ten feet but I need to go back and get exact measurements)...Then I was also thinking of making a more expressive book with the poem and a poster to go along with that (which is what the rectangle and question mark are supposed to be)





why use floor?
ReplyDeleteI'm not opposed to it, just wondering what rationales there might be. the form (even floor, if you go that way) would follow from the rationale.
build the text architecture, the book will follow. don't rush the book.
linger much more over individual lines, spacing etc.
as we discussed last meeting, this work involves "writing" in a central way. the writing/deployment of text has to be worked carefully, in several iterations. production of the book (or plural books) is maybe less of a challenge.
painting wall black: is this necessary? what's the rationale? your text is all important, want to avoid distractions, arbitrary design-y elements.
anyway, good to see work under way, and look forward to tomorrow's presentation.
postcard idea:
ReplyDeletemy suggestion would be,
not statement, but extract from some of your William James "habit" reworkings.
something poetical, mysterious, minimalist, and purely typographic.
with your name etc etc date title reception info etc at left of address side.