I've been thinking about the feedback I got at my review and have been asking people to read the poem while I record it to see how they would read it. Here's two examples.
I met with Andy and went over everything that needed to be done for my vinyl, I added the graphs I did last semester and got them in three varying sizes since I'm not 100% sure how I want to use it... I was also thinking of using the side of the movable wall for something I created last semester. I had created these abstract line drawings that I thought of blowing up and only taking a sliver of it and painting it a light gray onto the wall...but I'm still just throwing around ideas. this is a random example, but not the best one I have (i have to dig through my hard drive for the others)
and i've been working on business card ideas
I feel like I've been focusing too much on what my show will look like and not enough on pushing the work as much as I can so I'm trying to make myself worry less about that and more about pushing each piece. The vinyl type is all set because I had to order it right away, but the placement is tbd. I'm intrigued with the sound aspect so I want to record more people and see where that takes me.


Rebecca, you put your long weekend to good use. Talk tomorrow.
ReplyDeletethe two readings are IMHO kinda flat. the reading needs to find the poetry, in the words. they're not quite poetry yet, tho close.
ReplyDeletebrings to mind / no mind Francesco Gagliardi his Short Sentences, derived from a text by Gertrude Stein, same title, 1932. quite nice, worth a watch I think.
flat as in the sound quality or flat as in how the voices are speaking? I noticed, to me at least, that they sound like they know they're reading for a recording and there's a sense that they're trying too hard or it's just unnatural
Deleteflat as in, no affect. not seeking out meaning, but reading list of words with little or no change of intonation, pace, slowing and/or lengthening of syllables, etc.
Deletemaybe as you say, trying to hard.
btw, the sound quality is fine.
check out the Gagliardi/Gertrude Stein excerpt, at URL given previously.
I agree with you. when I posted that comment the link you had shared wasn't loading for me, but it finally did and it was very interesting. Personally, the background noise that he included was too distracting for me...but I did notice how even though there were different people, each line was read with ..passion..(i'm not sure if that's the right word) and it definitely flowed and sounded poetic
Delete