I decided to show my most "extreme" shoes.
1. Thigh High Black Boot - Bought for a costume and only worn for that costume. Possibly my most uncomfortable pair of shoes, but it takes several hours of being at a con with concrete floors and people stepping on my feet to get that far.
2. Red Platform Heels with Gold Chains - My newest purchase. The woman who runs The Golden Hangar knows me pretty well and held onto them for me because she knew I would like them. She also bumped down the price a little bit for me.
3. Shark Platform Heels - I couldn't resist buying them when I saw them online.
4. Bodyline Pink Lolita Shoes - These are so comfortable. They're really cute, but I haven't worn them in a long time because they have some scuff marks that I haven't been able to get out.
5. Rhinestone Encrusted Black Platform Heels - Once again bought for a costume. These are so much more comfortable than they look. I wish I could wear them everywhere, but I don't want them to get damaged or worn out when I need them for a costume.
I would like to understand, or at least be presented with, the different ways people relate to stiletto heels — wearers and others, people who like them (for various reasons), and people who don't (for other, and perhaps even the same, reasons).
ReplyDeletewill bring in a couple of books tomorrow, and more on Wednesday.
including Caroline Cox, Stiletto (2004) and Valerie Steele and Colleen Hill, their Shoe Obsession (2012).
another iteration of my earlier comment : unpack the stiletto. take it apart piece by piece (physically), but also stylistically, psychologically, metaphorically — let all the ways that the stiletto/high heel signifies in peoples lives, become apparent. deny nothing.
ReplyDeleteCox's Stiletto tells what turns out to be a complex story, and allows it to remain complex.
while probably a good idea to focus on the kinds of shoes you (Caroline) buy and wear, it's also fine to solicit views (and take photos) of all kinds of shoes on people's feet. But get their stories, while you're at it!