Wednesday, October 2, 2013

'motto'


we had briefly talked about picking out the best use of habit to have as like.. my 'motto' for my show and I spent some time going through William James and decided these three quotes were the ones I liked best:



  • We must be careful not to give the will so stiff a task as to insure its defeat at the very outset but,
  •  provided one can stand it, a sharp period of suffering, and then a few time, is the best thing to aim at, whether in giving up a habit like that of opium, or in simply changing one's hours of rising or of work.
  • It is well known how much finer and quicker the painter is in discriminating colors and illuminations than one whose eye is not trained in these matters; how the musician and the musical-instrument maker perceive with ease and certainty differences of pitch and tone which for the car of the layman do not exist; and how even in the inferior realms of cookery and wine-judging it takes a long habit of comparing to make a master.
  • The habits of an elementary particle of matter cannot change (on the principles of the atomistic philosophy), because the particle is itself an unchangeable thing; but those of a compound mass of matter can change, because they are in the last instance due to the structure of the compound, and either outward forces or inward tensions can, from one hour to another, turn that structure into something different from what it was.



But, last semester I had found these other two that I like way more:




"Success is a product of great habits, birthed by great disciplines, repeated day in day out."
Wale Oladipo



"The time which we have at our disposal everyday is elastic; the passions that we feel expand it, those that we inspire contract it; and habit fills up what remains."
Marcel Proust

At first I thought that I should stick with a William James quote since that's what the majority of the show will be, but now I'm planning on re-doing my process book and including it into the show and I think it would be ok to have a quote from someone else. I'm thinking of making it into a poster or displaying it somehow. ideas?

And to display it I was thinking of having something similar to this: 

where the text is on one page of paper (currently it's the paragraph that includes the quote by Proust) and then having another, blank page over it and cut out the area to reveal the quote. Since I've been working with taking words out of their text and using them in my own way, I thought that it was appropriate to show this quote in this way. (....also right now the background looks gray to me - it's supposed to be white) i'll print out a smaller scale version for class

1 comment:

  1. poster will detract from the column of (vinyl) type affixed to wall.
    quote would be appropriate on a card, for visitors to take with them.

    is this Proust passage from the Beckett text on Proust?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.